In an ideal world, a company would need to have a team that has years of experience in each of the below fields.
- Data Scientists specializing in Operations Research for Combinatorial/Nonlinear Mixed Integer Programming
- Data Scientists trained in Statistics / Signal processing for Time Series Demand and Supply predictions.
- Machine Learning Engineer for integration on cloud
- Big Data Infrastructure Engineer
- Web Developer for developing the customer facing application.
Even with existing individual Managed Services on Azure, a similar solution would take an army of Data Scientists and Engineers over a year to develop the end-to-end solution considering the complexity of the SQ Inventory Policy  that was implemented in the above solution.
However, with the availability of the solutions in Azure AI Gallery, our team was able to replicate the simulation setup in less than a few weeks on Azure, and are now able to customize the solution to fit the needs of the specific customer in 16-20 week experiment iteration cycles!
Other Azure AI gallery solutions worth exploring is the Retail Forecasting solution  that use Azure Machine Learning Studio as it’s experimentation backbone and uses several variations of Seasonal Trend Decomposition using Loess + AutoRegressive Integrated Moving Average (ARIMA).
Another often overlooked methodology is getting end-to-end process overview and where the bottlenecks in the system are to optimize the overall cash-to-cash cycle times using Process Mining.
Every process generates time event data. Consider the example of tracking an order from the time it is received to the moment it was delivered. At each stage in the entire process, an event (activity) is generated. Each activity has a unique time stamp.
Process Mining is a relatively new field in Data Science that automatically reconstructs (reverse engineers) the underlying process just by looking at the time series event data! It is then possible to identify bottlenecks as well as compliance violations.
So, what’s stopping Enterprises to leverage these cutting edge solutions? Regardless of the size, three main challenges around data are fairly consistent for Enterprises.
- Ability to Assess AI readiness, Model and Productize models in an enterprise Azure Machine Learning Environment.
- Ability to hire trained Data Scientists, Machine Learning & Data Engineers that are trained and ready to perform Data Analytics and Science on Azure on Day 1.
- Ability to train internal staff in Azure Data Science & Analytics tools, including Azure Databricks, Azure Machine Learning Service, Power BI etc.
Divergence.AI is a Full service Management and AI consulting firm. We are based in Dallas, TX.
Our deep capabilities in strategy, process, analytics and technology enable us to help our clients improve their performance. We provide expert, objective advice to help solve complex business and technology challenges. We bring our knowledge and experience to develop and integrate AI-driven solutions within the customer’s business environments. DIVERGENCE.ai is a Microsoft Partner in Data & Analytics speciality.
About the Author: Vish Puttagunta
As the CTO and Principal Data Scientists at DIVERGENCE.ai, Vish helps companies incubate Data Driven teams centered around Marketing, Operational Excellence, Fraud Detection and Food Safety.
As the Director of Data Science Programs at Divergence Academy, he teaches and continuously evolves the curriculum for Data Science on Big Data/Cloud based on feedback from various consulting engagements and market research.